John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight talked about Asian Americans. This 30 minutes of discourse is not enough.
After watching this video….
- Can we all agree… White America has a history of pitting various ethnic groups against each other. Even John Oliver calls it out.
- Asian Americans are come from 20+? countries in Asia ranging from India, Philippines, Malaysia, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan. We probably speak well over 20+ dialects/languages. We have different cultures, eat different foods, practice different religions, and have different customs. AND YET… the only thing that ties us together is this term. We should use this to our advantage.
- As Asian Americans, we have to pursue positive change.
- As Asian Americans, we absolutely need to leave America better for our grand kids.
- As Asian Americans, we must demand for a country that doesn’t discriminate people of different skin color, heritage, sexual orientation, religion and socio economic status.
- As Asian Americans, we have to help other minorities as much as possible.
- The only thing White America fears is when we minorities call out the racism that exists. You know you’ve hit a sensitive topic when attempts to deflect the conversation involves “what about-ism”.
- And finally… As Americans, can we strive to follow the Golden Rule? Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.